According to a 2009 study in the Journal of College Teaching & Learning, reading is found to be an effective method for reducing acute stress in individuals. Reading leisurely for only 30 minutes per week (i.e. your 30 minute lunch break at work!) has shown to decrease blood pressure and heart rates as well as significantly reduce stress levels in a short amount of time.
Why is this important?
Stress affects physical and mental health which can lead to a variety of problems including:
- Unhealthy eating and sleeping habits
- Risky behaviors such as smoking and heavy drinking
- An increase in anxiety and depression
- A decrease in the positive relationships with our peers and family members
- An overall decreased and dissatisfying quality of life
It is not a long shot to say everyone would like to live a happy, healthy, and long life. Reading may not be the answer to solving all of our problems, but if it can help and be fun at the same time, then why not?
Grab a book and read on my friends.