According to a 2009 study in the Journal of College Teaching & Learning, a 30-minute leisure reading session is an effective method for reducing stress (i.e. a lunch break at work or even time spent before the start to a busy day). Spending time zoned into a good book has shown to decrease blood pressure and heart rates as well as significantly reduce stress levels.
Why is this important?
Stress affects physical and mental health which can lead to a variety of problems including:
- Unhealthy eating and sleeping habits
- Risky behaviors such as smoking and heavy drinking
- An increase in anxiety and depression
- A decrease in positive relationships with our peers, co-workers, or family members
- An overall decreased and dissatisfying quality of life
I don’t believe it’s a long shot to say everyone would like to live a happy, healthy, and long life. Reading may not be the answer to all of our problems, but if it can help reduce some stress while entertaining and inspiring, why not?
Grab your favorite book and read on my friends.